Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

`88 Sedan track car build - here's Siobhan! Made the front page of Jalopnik!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were not already aware... From what I have read, when using the M20 Single Mass Flywheel you will need to either shave down the rear lip of the oil pan, or have the back of the flywheel shaved in order for it to clear.

If you have the flywheel shaved a bit, be sure to have the machine shop balance it as well.

I am going through this as well. I am in the midst of getting the wiring done. My buddy is shaving the flywheel for me.

Gratz on your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by SkorcherX View Post
      If you were not already aware... From what I have read, when using the M20 Single Mass Flywheel you will need to either shave down the rear lip of the oil pan, or have the back of the flywheel shaved in order for it to clear.

If you have the flywheel shaved a bit, be sure to have the machine shop balance it as well.

I am going through this as well. I am in the midst of getting the wiring done. My buddy is shaving the flywheel for me.

Gratz on your progress.
      Thanks, man. It's weird, and I guess it's just one of those strange E30 swap things. Some people do have to shave them and some people don't. Kinda like how some people can can run their fan clutch and other people can't. We'll see once it gets here. If it is an issue, I'll probably just shave the oil pan some.

Thanks for the congrats, and congrats to YOU on your progress as well!!

These are all valuable lessons, and ones I'llput to good use when I start on the next project VERY soon!
      Originally posted by LJ851
      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
      #teamross
      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the flywheel one bit. None of the cars I've worked on have ever had that problem, and the oilpan will shave off really easy if needed.
        -tim
        Originally posted by Jordan
        I like the stance
        -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
          I wouldn't worry about the flywheel one bit. None of the cars I've worked on have ever had that problem, and the oilpan will shave off really easy if needed.
          I ain't worried about a thing! This Sunday, we make this swap our bitch!

Now, the NEXT project car...that's something else entirely. Went to look at it again today. There's an IX booster in there...and an MC, but I'm not sure which one. Going to pull all the carpets, 'cause they smell musty...

#teamross

Comment

Well, a LOT of progress was made this weekend. Most of Saturday was spent retrieving Lilo the new Project/Track Car...and I love her already!

So, today we got serious about moving forwardon Siobhan's swap...

Getting the M50 dropped in.

Just a few peeps came over to help.

My old CBR, Tim's S52-swapped E30, the infamous E36 Art Car, Lilo the new project/track toy.

A quick pic of Lilo

Note that the lights, grills, hood and fenders are not bolted on yet...

Almost there!

M50 sitting in the bay. Tim's under the car at this point mounting up the tranmission.

Jeremy (DriftingMinor) came over to help, and prepare for his M50 swap as well!

Jeremy was one of many peeps who came over to help me (again!). Thanks once more to Tim, without whom this swap could never have happened! Thanks to you all!

Aaaaand a little Photoshop fun from my wife. I also owe her a BIG THANK YOU for putting up with my obsessions. I love you baby!
            Last edited by kingston; 05-25-2013, 07:32 PM. Reason: deleted un-needed info

#teamross

Comment

wish i could afford a build like this. good work guys :up:
              TEMO

Originally Posted by Ryan... If you've seen Tango's girl, you would not be questioning his choice of apparel ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by tAngo. View Post
                wish i could afford a build like this. good work guys :up:

ditto
                -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                  ditto
                  DITTO! And, thanks guys!!

This has run way more than I planned, but I did want to make sure I did this right the first time. I did hit a local pick and pull today, and got a few things I needed for this swap, and the next project car. Total cost: $12!

Tim's coming over again this weekend, and I'm REALLY hoping we can get this thing done!!
                  Last edited by kingston; 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM. Reason: Remebered my manners

#teamross

Comment

UPDATE
                    SHE LIVES!!!!!

Tim came over this morning around 10, and we set to work. 3 hours later, I was rewarded with the sweetest sound EVER; the M50 firing into life! My wife came out of the house, in disbelief, I think, and said 'is that a running car?!'

Yes, Angel. It is!

More updates later, because the car is by no means done yet!

Cheers to Tim, Levent, and everyone wlse who's assisted with the swap thus far. Literally COULD NOT and WOULD NOT have done this without you!!!!

#teamross

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                      Wow, you noticed that quickly! I wasn't going to say anything about the part where the coating was rubbed off. What did you use on there? Anything I can repair it with? And'I'd love some stickers!

It really is an awesome piece, man!!
                      I used hi temp wrinkle finish paint, send me your address and I will ship you a couple.
                      www.CASTROMOTORSPORT.com

Castro Motorsport
                      12600 Sherman Way, Unit C
                      North Hollywood, CA 91605
                      818-765-3606

Follow Castro's on Facebook:
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Castro...02411516506828

Follow Castro's on Instagram:
                      http://instagram.com/castromotorsport#

sigpic

Comment

Congratulations. Kingston!
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                        ---------------------------------
                        89 E30 S52
                        ---------------------------------
                        Transaction Feedback.

Comment

good work on this...looks like a nice project...
                          sigpic

Comment

FRESH BRO, excited to have a meet here soon with like 5 e30 M50's
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by castros View Post
                              I used hi temp wrinkle finish paint, send me your address and I will ship you a couple.
                              Cool, man. That'd be great! I'll be putting the airbox on next weekend. Can't wait!

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
                              Congratulations. Kingston!
                              Thank yew!!!!

Originally posted by rares View Post
                              good work on this...looks like a nice project...
                              Thanks! I could not have done this the first time without LOTS of help! Now I'm going to try to share what I've learned with others doing a swap.

Originally posted by Tico Frank View Post
                              FRESH BRO, excited to have a meet here soon with like 5 e30 M50's
                              Between yours, Jeremy's and mine, as well as Tim's S52-swapped E30 car, we'll outnumber the 12-Valve guys. :)
                              Last edited by kingston; 02-06-2013, 08:56 AM. Reason: deleted un-needed info

#teamross

Comment

More progress today!!

With the clutch issue on hold until tomorrow, it was time to focus on other things.

I'd let Jeremy (JeremyE30autox) borrow my front sway bar for what turned out to be an ill-fated weekend for him. Today it was time to get it back on, and I was reminded about an important lesson when modifying cars: you cannot modify without consequences. In this case, it meant getting the swaybar back on with the G260 transmission tilted 15 degrees became a royal bitch. Ultimately, I unbolted the driver's side control arm where it bolts to the chassis, and things went smoothly after that.

Team Straight Jacket Racing, hard at work!

Jeremy (DriftingMinor) had volunteered to swap my rear diff for me. Apparently, drifting your car all day, every day, takes it's toll on his diffs, and he's learned to swap them quickly. He brought his friend Jose, and they knocked that sucker out!

Jose

Jeremy

My car has now gone from having a 2.93 open diff, to a 3.73 LSD! Should be perfect with the M50/G260 combo. :)

Old open diff in the foreground. New 3.73 LSD waits in the background.

Jeremy's early-model Sedan, awaiting her M50 swap!

Thanks for all the help, guys!!!! Tomorrow, we go after that clutch problem!
                                Last edited by kingston; 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: Added some thanks

#teamross

Comment

Working...
                                X